Some information about my service:
- My 1st 3 months there I will be in Thiès, Senegal
and doing technical, language, cross-cultural, health and safety
training before being moving to my placement within the country for the
next 2 years of service.
- While there I will be working with my Senegalese partners to help
establish gardens, improve soil conditions, integrate techniques and
crops if possible. (I also hope to doing bee work as my secondary
I will most likely be living in a dirt hut with a tin or metal roof,
with no running water and electricity (I will purchase a solar charger
there to power my electronics)
- The local climate is tropical
with well-defined dry and humid seasons. The dry season (December to
April) with annual rainfall of about 24 in occurs between June and October when maximum temperatures average 86.0 °F and minimums 75.6 °F (this varies as you move inland)
- French speaking with a few other dialects and is dominantly Muslim religion.
can have visitors so you are ALL welcome to come visit!!!!!! (up to 2
weeks, round trip tickets are about $1500 but you can live on $10 a day)
I would love to see you in Senegal!
- If you can’t visit you are more than welcome to send me a note,
letter, email, or a package. My information is at the Contact Info page
- I will learn lots of things of wonderful things (and I’m
sure some not so wonderful things), meet some really cool people and
some wonderful places.
- I will be keeping a blog, even though postings might be once a month. But I hope to have pictures of all my crazy travels if nothing else.
- I get a peacekeeping passport during service (which I think is green and an interesting tidbit)